Mr. Beat went out on the street and asked people one question: What’s your tribe?
Watch the video — Tribalism, Explained: [VIDEO]
On the sidewalk the answers were America, family, Jayhawks, a fraternity, humanity, Burners, Jewish, hometown, “all the beautiful people around here.”
Then he ranked the bigger lines we actually use to divide “us” from “them”:
10) Lifestyle and fandom
9) Ethnicity8) Education7) Wealth6) Political affiliation5) Religion4) Age3) Skin color2) Sex and gender1) Nation
Here’s mine:
- I’m Black as far as skin color or ethnicity.
- Pop culture: especially Star Trek and WWE (pro wrestling).
- Not a huge sports fan, but among other teams I’m a fan of the Cubs and Blackhawks.
- Education: people also identify with where they went to school. In my case Bennett-Shedd, Harlan, and Morehouse College. I do hold a bachelor’s degree.
- Political affiliation: an independent more than anything, with conservative leanings.
- Religion: I consider myself a Christian, if not actively practicing.
- The most important thing is that I’m an American.
This post is expected to be published on Labor Day. I hope everyone has a safe and restful one.
Let's hear it in the comments: What's your Tribe?
No comments:
Post a Comment