- Subject: ASKING FOR YOUR SUPPORT FOR CITYWIDE DAY OF ACTION: FRIDAY APRIL 1, 2016
Below is the plan of action for Harlan.
This plan is being conducted in concert with many other unions who are being effected by the political onslaught of Governor Rauner and Mayor Emanuel to dismantle the union structure in the name of "balancing the budgets"
Over the next few days, you may be hearing about the actions on April 1st taking
place across the City that emphasize the disrespect and disregard for;
- Students from Pre-K to PhD by not providing a fair funding formula for all students in Illinois to the withholding of MAP grant monies to state run university students.
- Fair wages for the workers at McDonalds,
- Moving of jobs from the United States to Mexico (Nabisco)
- The building and expansion of prisons instead of schools in Illinois as well selling off public education to the private sector.
- The lack of pension funding because City and State governments did not pay their portion and used the taxes to fund those pensions with the promise to pay it back......over more than 20 years.........and never did.
The current plan for Friday April 1, 2016 is: teachers meet at 8 a.m. at Harlan to picket for an hour; at about 9 a.m. teachers who are physically able will walk to Chicago State; teachers who are unable to make the walk will drive to Chicago State at 9:30; we will converge at the Student Union Building at 10:00 a.m. for a rally at CSU; a teach in will be conducted from 10:00 a.m. until just after 12 noon; CTU, CSU faculty and community organizations (West Chesterfield, Rosemoor, etc.,)will rally at noon and march back to Harlan; Harlan teachers can get their cars and drive downtown (actually) the lot near Cermak and Wentworth is recommended with a Red Line ride to State and Lake; others may elect to catch the 95th Street Red Line with CSU faculty to go downtown; CTU and other unions will gather at the State of Illinois (Thompson) building located at Randolph and Clark.
By the way, the Thompson building is a public building. There is a food court on the lower level offering a variety of foods.
If you arrive a little early, grab something to eat. The food court starts shutting down around 3p.m. The downtown "Shut Down Chicago-Fund Our Schools" rally at the Thompson building will run from about 3 or 4 until around 6.
All are welcome to call or email - sherry8750 @ yahoo.com - if there are questions or concerns.
Harlen LSC Member
PLEASE READ the disclaimer under the "about" tab!
Friday, April 1, 2016
Citywide day of action on Friday
Really got wind of this on Wednesday via an email from Mrs. Banks-Pincham forgot them got reminded in another email. A post about this will be posted at SixthWard.us in the morning but this blog will post about it first.