PLEASE READ the disclaimer under the "about" tab!

Like & Share on fb

Current Conditions

Friday, November 5, 2021

First time having cable at home

 

[VIDEO] Probably my first exposure to cable TV was with relatives. Perhaps being babysat by an aunt during the summers who lived nearby to perhaps another aunt out of town on vacation, I really loved cable TV. New channels to watch without being restricted to our local channels here in Chicago 2,5,7, 9, 11, 32, 50, or 66.

Well I know that the universe of TV has changed with content increasingly being streamed over the internet or even people cutting the cord with traditional cable services citing costs. Back in the late 1980s to early 1990s having cable was the dream for me. Of course I wasn't paying for it my parents were and to my disappointment sometimes it would be viewed as an expense they could live without.

I told you that I liked to watch Sports Channel when we first got cable and shared a video of a program that aired back then called Sportswriters on TV. Of course that in addition to watching a number of sports programs which included White Sox, Bulls and Black Hawks games.

My absolute favorite network back then was Nickelodeon which was often advertised as a kids TV network. I enjoyed all three segments of network programming at the time which included Nick Jr during the day typically for the pre-school audience. Then you have Nickelodeon programming which I often enjoyed, and then at nite you had Nick at Nite for the adults which back in the 80s and 90s features programming that aired during the 1950, 60s or even 70s.

I would like to make a special note of Double Dare which I could call myself a huge fan of. Would I have liked to have hosted of course, I also would've liked to have been a contestant but that never happened. Soon you'll see a special post about that children's themed game show.

As far as Nick at Nite there was one program that aired during that time I grew fond was was Rowan and Martin's Laugh In. I would say about Laugh In as I would about Late Night with David Letterman I was too young to be watching that. Perhaps the jokes went over my head but the physical gags and even the editing say an adult riding a child's tricycle and falling over at super fast speed was hilarious to me. 

Anyway I wanted to do some nostalgia type posts typically every Thursday for Throwback Thursday though today this is Flashback Friday. Hopefully more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment