PLEASE READ the disclaimer under the "about" tab!

Like & Share on fb

Current Conditions

Monday, November 30, 2020

Alex Trebek #Jeopardy

 I'm sorry to have never noted on a blog the death of Jeopardy! host Alex Trebek. He died earlier this month at 80 years old - and I just can't believe he was that old. He had announced that he had cancer and unfortunately that illness took his life. He was still taping Jeopardy! episodes until his untimely passing.

This was probably one of the last things he taped a Thanksgiving message from Jeopardy's YouTube channel [VIDEO]


With this said, I never considered myself a Jeopardy! fan. If I was lucky enough to be around a TV anytime after 3 PM Jeopardy! might be on TV. Usually it would be in a public place like a doctor's office or perhaps a waiting room at a garage waiting for a car repair. At home it would rarely be on TV and the concept of the game for my young mind was difficult to understand to answer a question or actually respond to an answer in the form of a question.

The game show I'm more familiar with that Alex Trebek hosted was Classic Concentration. I would usually catch that program on daytime on NBC usually at 9 or 10 AM and amazingly like Jeopardy! it was based on an old game show that aired during the 1960s. The object of Concentration was to solve a puzzle after gradually revealing the clues. When I could get in front of a TV this was what had my attention back then. [VIDEO]

I had to say I can't believe Trebek was 80 at the time of his demise. He's been around a long time and got wind of another game show he hosted on the Buzzr channel - which you can receive on broadcast TV in case you've either never had cable or are a cord cutter. It was a show named Double Dare and when it was on the schedule within the last three or so years it had my attention.

Also let's not confuse this Double Dare with the longtime Nickelodeon game show geared for children. The object of that game is to utilize clues to guess the answer, however, you can dare the opponent to answer the question and if they fail to answer you win. It's the type of game I wish they could bring back in the future.

Anyway back to Trebek's age, Bob Barker is the former host of The Price is Right until 2007 when he was about 84 at the time. Barker definitely had longevity and amazingly even at 96 I'll bet he can still walk on his old show and host it for a one-off.

I have to add one of my earliest obsessions was game shows. This was before pro-wrestling, politics, or even Star Trek. Trebek wasn't a constant presence when I watched TV but he was there and it's sad that another part of my childhood is no longer around now.

R.I.P. Alex Trebek 🙌

No comments:

Post a Comment